Ricardo Chaves is an Associate professor at the Computer Science Department at the University of Lisbon/IST and a researcher at the Signal Processing Group (SiPS) of INESC-ID working on hardware for security on embedded and user oriented systems. He received his Ph.D. degree, in 2007, in electrical and computer engineering from TUDelft and from the University of Lisbon in a joint PhD program between the two universities. He's PhD research work was focused on the design of a Secure Computing Module (SCM) on reconfigurable systems.
His research interests are focused on cryptography systems, reconfigurable hardware architectures, and on embedded and user oriented systems. He is an active member of HiPEAC and in the Management Committee of the CRYPTARCUS (of which he is the vice-leader of WG3). He was also a member of the EU COST Actions TRUDEVICE. He is also involved in several ongoing project European projects, such as EMC2 (focused on critical computational systems) and Rethink (the future of peer-to-peer internet). As also participated in several other European and National project (FARNuSyC, Threads, Mobipag, HELIX, Sideworks, SCryBAM, CORTIVIS, Safira). He is also an IEEE senior member. He recently organized the TRUDEVICE 2014 training school and the CRYPACUS 2018 training school.
Research and professional interests:
List of Publications
- Computer Architecture on Reconfigurable Devices
- Implementation of Security Primitives
- Embedded Systems and Hardware Development
- Residual Numbering Systems
Ongoing project participation:
- CRYPTACUS - Cryptanalysis of ubiquitous computing systems, vice-leader of WG3, financed by the European Cooperation in Science and Technology framework, ref. ICT COST Action IC1403, 2015 - 2018 (member of the management committee and WG3 vice leader)
- ReThink - Smart Networks and novel Internet Architectures , European project within H2020, ref. 645342, 2015 - 2017
- EMC2 - Embedded Multi-Core Systems for Mixed Criticality Applications in Dynamic and Changeable Real-Time Environments , ARTEMIS Joint Undertaking under grant agreement n. 62142 and FCT ref. ARTEMIS/0003/2013, 2014 - 2017 (institution PI)
- TRUDEVICE - Trustworthy Manufacturing and Utilization of Secure Device , European project financed by the European Cooperation in Science and Technology framework, ref. ICT COST Action IC1204, 2012 - 2016 (member of the management committee)
- Threads - Multitask System Framework with Transparent Hardware Reconfiguration, ref. FCT PTDC/EEA-ELC/117329/2010, 2012 - 2016
- FARNuSyC - Framework for Automatic RNS-Based Computation, National project financed by FCT, EXPL/EEI-ELC/1572/2013, 2014 - 2015 (PI)
- HELIX - Heterogeneous Multi-Core Architecture for Biological Sequence Analysis, FCT ref. PTDC/EEA-ELC/113999/2009, 2010 - 2013
- Sideworks - Reconfigurable Processor, Compiler and Applications, National project financed by Quadro de Referencia Estrategico Nacional (no 3487), 2009 - 2012
- SCryBAM - Cryptographic Systems based on Modular Arithmetic, Cooperation project PHC PESSOA between Portugal e Franca, 2009 - 2010
- Cortical Visual Neuroprosthesis for the Blind (CORTIVIS), European project ref. QLRT-2001-00279.
- Supporting Affective Interactions for Realtime Applications (Safira), European project ref. IST-1999-11683